Updated: Aug 14, 2018
If I haven't heard this a thousand times, "My husband says it feels too feminine when I pick out items for our bedroom." Sharing a bedroom can sometimes make you want to pull your hair out, especially if your spouse has an opinion about what he wants in his room.
The trick is to keep it simple, comfortable and gender neutral. You might be asking how the heck do I do that Celia without it feeling like a dorm room or a prison cell? Ha Ha, I know it might seem like a huge task, but I've got some tips for you!
1. Keep the color on the walls in a neutral color, For instance grays, white, beige or greige ( beige with gray ) You could even go with a grasscloth wallpaper to add texture and warmth.
2. It's all about the thread count, bed pillows and mattress. If those items are the best quality and feel like luxury when you slip into bed, trust me he won't care if you add some type of floral print. :)
3. Choose a bed that has clean lines with a mix of upholstery and wood or metal.
4. Don't buy the complete bedroom set. This will help to make your space more personal and less masculine.
5. Add a soft rug to bring in texture and a little color.
6. Lighting, your bedside lamps should feel special and have the proper scale. I like a lamp that is at least 29" - 31" tall.
7. Decorative pillows, although I love pillows! Most men think why the heck do we need all of these pillows? Stick to 3 decorative and depending on the size of your bed, King 3 Euros or Queen 2 Euro pillows.
8. Layer you bedding start with a coverlet for the first layer and then a duvet or comforter to fold down to the bottom of the bed. this is where you can add color and pattern. being that it is folded to the bottom it isn't so overwhelming. Or you can choose to keep it neutral and just add fun decorative pillows like I did here
Don't give up on having that master bedroom of your dreams. It is the one room that gives back to you and the one room that is always last on the list.
If you found these tips helpful please share with a friend and don't forget to give it a heart. :)